Dogs love to chew. Unfortunately, that means they can find just about any item and try to eat it. Gum is one of those items that you don’t want your dog to get into.
Although not every piece of gum will hurt your dog, it does have some dangerous side effects. The sugar in gum can give them an upset stomach or even throw off their blood sugar levels if they overeat it.
Even if the gum doesn’t contain sugar, the artificial flavors and chemicals found in most gums are probably not something you want your dog to eat.
If your dog manages to sneak a piece of gum or even a whole pack, there are some things you need to know as soon as possible. If your dog eats gum, read on for more information.
What to do immediately if your dog eats gum?
If your dog eats gum ↗ you first want to make sure they are not choking. If you can see the gum in their mouth, remove it with your fingers. If you cannot reach it, then use a pair of tweezers to pull it out.
If your dog has digest a small amount of gum and hasn’t shown any signs of being ill, you might not have to do anything.
They could become very ill if they eat a large amount of gum or have swallowed gum with sugar or artificial ingredients. If your dog has eaten a large amount of gum, vomiting is likely.
Give your dog plenty of water if vomiting occurs so it can flush the gum out of its system.
Dogs that eat gum containing artificial ingredients will likely experience diarrhea and lethargy. Sugar-free gum will upset your dog’s stomach if it has eaten it.
What are the dangers of chewing gum for dogs?
Gum is not suitable for dogs, but it’s unknown why. Some people believe the gum is not digestible, and others say it can obstruct the bowels.
The most likely reason is that the artificial ingredients and high sugar content found in gum can cause poor health in dogs. If a dog has eaten some gum, it might not significantly impact its health.
But, if they have eaten a lot of gum, it could cause them to become ill. Dogs that chew and swallow gum can become very lethargic, have diarrhea and even have vomiting episodes.
Some experts believe gum can also create issues with a dog’s blood sugar levels. High blood sugar will cause seizures and even coma. If the gum is not digested, it can obstruct the lower part of the intestines. This can lead to death if left untreated.
Helping your dog recover from chewing gum
If your dog chewed gum and became ill, you will want to ensure that they don’t chew any more gum. You should also keep any gum away from your dog.
If they chewed a piece of gum and didn’t become ill, it’s unlikely they will do so again.
If your dog is ill from chewing gum, you will want to ensure its bowels are moving regularly.
You can give them a gentle laxative to ensure their bowels move regularly.
If your dog has high blood sugar levels, you will want to monitor them closely. You can give them some sugar-free gum to help bring their stories back down.
Treatment for Xylitol Poisoning
If your dog has chewed gum that has Xylitol in it, you need to make sure that you get it treated as soon as possible.
The treatment for Xylitol poisoning in dogs is very similar to treating people who have consumed Xylitol.
You will want to induce vomiting as soon as possible. If your dog has not yet vomited, you will want to make them drink plenty of water.
This will help flush the Xylitol out of their system. You can give your dog activated charcoal to help them get rid of the Xylitol more quickly.
You will want to ensure that you keep your dog hydrated while they have Xylitol in their system.
My dog ate Xylitol gum within 30 minutes and had no symptoms
If your dog chewed gum and didn’t become ill, there is a chance that the Xylitol in the gum was not enough to cause problems.
However, you cannot be sure that the Xylitol wasn’t harmful to your dog.
If you have any reason to believe that your dog has consumed Xylitol, you should watch for their symptoms and get medical care for them as soon as possible. Xylitol is a popular sweetener often used in gum, mints, and other products.
Unfortunately, it can be hazardous to dogs and even cause death. If your dog has chewed gum with Xylitol, you must take them to the vet as soon as possible.
Dogs are curious creatures, and they will try to eat almost anything they find. Unfortunately, your dog can easily find their way into a pack of gum.
You must know what to do if your dog has eaten gum. Gum has some severe side effects for dogs, including vomiting and seizures.
If possible, you should get your dog to vomit the gum. You can induce vomiting if they don’t vomit on their own by giving them syrup or ipecac.
If you choose to give your dog some chewing gum, follow these guidelines:
- Do not give your pet gum sweetened with Xylitol, as this can be toxic for dogs.
- Avoid giving chewing gum to puppies or young dogs, as their digestive systems are not fully developed yet, and they may be more susceptible to the harmful effects of chewing gum.
- ∙Provide your dog with plenty of fresh water to stay hydrated while chewing on the gum.
- Monitor your pet while chewing on the gum to ensure that it doesn’t swallow any pieces whole.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a dog survive eating gum?
A hyped urban legend claims chewing gum is toxic to dogs and can lead to serious health problems or even death. This is not true, and the effects of chewing gum on dogs are minimal.
A small amount of chewing gum likely won’t cause immediate adverse effects on a dog’s health. However, chewing gum may cause gastrointestinal irritation in dogs if swallowed whole or small pieces are swallowed. Additionally, chewing gum may be suffocated and void of oxygen in the dog’s stomach if ingested.
What should you do if a dog eats gum?
If a dog has eaten gum, don’t panic. Gum is not toxic and won’t injure your pet’s health. However, it may give your pet some digestive discomfort.
If your dog has swallowed gum, the best thing to do is to check his health and stay calm. You should contact your vet if the animal shows discomfort – vomiting, diarrhea, or colic.
If the gum is still in your dog’s digestive tract, remove it using warm water. You can also wrap the wad in tissue and take it out using pliers or a twisting motion on your hands. If you cannot remove the wad of gum on your own, get the help of a vet.
Don’t panic if your dog has eaten gum – it’s not toxic or dangerous in any way. Just make sure he doesn’t have any physical discomfort while digesting it.