Dogs are curious creatures and love to explore new environments and investigate anything that seems out of place.
This can be great for dogs, as they are more likely to enjoy exploring new places and getting out of the house.
It can also be dangerous for dogs, as their natural curiosity and tendency to investigate new things mean that unexpected risks are frequently found and encountered.
A dog eating shrooms is one example of a risk that may not seem evident at first glance. After all, we don’t tend to associate shrooms with dogs; The fact remains that dogs can and do eat shrooms.
I will give a detailed look at what happens if a dog eats shrooms – as well as some advice on how to keep your dog safe from them in the future.
What Are Shrooms?
Shrooms, or mushrooms, are a type of fungus that naturally produce hallucinogenic substances called “psilocybin.”
While there are many different types of mushrooms, those that contain and produce psilocybin are often called “magic mushrooms.”
Some magic mushrooms can be legally cultivated and eaten, while others – such as the most common type – must be obtained and consumed illegally.
Magic mushrooms are most commonly found growing wild and are often found growing on rotting wood and other mind-altering substances.
How Do Dogs Eat Shrooms?
As we have discussed above, dogs naturally love to explore the new quiet place and investigate everything in their environment.
This is excellent for dogs, but it also means that dogs are very likely to come across shrooms in the wild and decide to eat them.
Dogs eating shrooms can happen in various ways, but most commonly, it happens when dogs consume the shrooms raw.
Raw shrooms produce toxins that can cause hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and confusion.
Dogs eating raw shrooms can often be seen walking around in a daze and acting strangely. In rare cases, a dog consuming raw shrooms may need to be taken to the vet as they can cause vomiting, diarrhea and high fever in some dogs.
When dogs consume raw shrooms safely, they can still be seen to act strangely and make unusual sounds, which can be alarming for owners.
Are Shrooms Bad For Dogs?
Dogs consuming shrooms are likely to be disoriented and hallucinate for a few hours.
Dogs that eat raw shrooms can also experience mild to moderate nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a general feeling of lethargy. In rare cases, dogs that consume shrooms may also experience a high fever.
When dogs consume shrooms, they will start to feel the effects almost immediately. If they consume the shrooms raw, they will likely feel the first adverse effects within 30 minutes.
When a dog consumes shrooms, the effects can last anywhere from 6-12 hours.
During this time, the dog will likely make unusual sounds, walk around disoriented, and even experience hallucinations.
Long-term Effects Of A Dog Eating Shrooms
Even though shrooms are not believed to cause long-term adverse effects in dogs, consuming shrooms is never recommended for dogs.
It is recommended that dogs never consume shrooms due to their potentially dangerous side effects. When dogs consume shrooms, they are more likely to get into dangerous situations.
This may lead to the dog encountering aggressive dogs or people, being hit by cars, or getting lost in unsafe places.
In a worst-case scenario, a dog consuming shrooms could get into a dangerous situation and get themselves seriously hurt or killed.
In addition, dogs that consume shrooms are more likely to be poisoned by the toxins in shrooms.
This means they are more likely to get sick and experience the adverse effects of shrooms long term.
The Dangers Of Shrooms For Dogs
There are many dangers of shrooms for dogs. Some of these dangers are short-term, and some are long-term, but all of them are dangerous for dogs.
When dogs consume shrooms, they are much more likely to get into dangerous situations. This may lead to the dog encountering aggressive dogs, being hit by cars, or getting lost in unsafe places.
When dogs consume shrooms, they are also more likely to be poisoned by the toxins in shrooms. This can lead to the dog getting sick and experiencing the adverse effects of shrooms long term, including vomiting, diarrhea, high fever and confusion.
Can You Feed Your Dog Shrooms?
The short answer to this question is “no.” It is essential to understand why it is not recommended to feed your dog shrooms.
The main reason shrooms are not recommended as a food source for dogs is that they are not nutritionally complete.
Although shrooms contain many vitamins and minerals, they do not contain the full range of vitamins and minerals that dogs need to thrive.
This means that feeding dogs shrooms can lead to nutritional deficiencies, which can cause various health issues.
Tips For Keeping Your Dog Safe From Shrooms
There are many dangers of shrooms for dogs. To keep your dog safe from shrooms, you can do a few things.
First and foremost, you should ensure that you do not consume shrooms in your dog’s presence. Your dog will likely smell the shrooms and want to eat them. If this happens, you should keep your dog away from the shrooms.
Next, you can ensure that you are extra careful when walking your dog. Shrooms grow naturally in many places and are often found on the ground.
You should make sure to keep an eye out for shrooms and make sure that you pick them up whenever you see them.
Finally, you can talk to your vet about potentially getting your dog on a shroom-detecting diet. This diet is designed to help dogs detect shrooms and avoid consuming them.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Shrooms?
If your dog eats shrooms, you can do a few things to help them. First and foremost, you should find out what kind of shrooms your dog ate.
This will help your vet decide on the best course of treatment. In most cases, you must keep an eye on your dog and let the shrooms pass through its system naturally.
You may need to give your dog something to settle its stomach if they are experiencing nausea or vomiting.
If your dog is experiencing a high fever, you must take them to the vet. In rare cases, dogs that consume shrooms may develop a condition called “psilocybin mycotoxicosis,” which can be fatal without treatment.
Final words: Stay safe!
As you can see, shrooms pose a real danger to dogs. Not only can they cause short-term effects like vomiting and diarrhea, but they can also cause long-term effects that are potentially life-threatening.
To avoid these dangers, you should be careful to keep your dog away from shrooms. It would help if you also talked to your vet about getting your dog on a shroom-detecting diet. This will help them avoid consuming shrooms in the first place.
You should watch the shrooms and pick them up before your dog can get to them when you are out and about.